Mystery With Distraction

Setophaga citrinaSo I’m trying to figure what this little warbler is hopping along the side of the road near the grave of Peter Cooper and family in Green-Wood. Female something, right? It flies out of my binocular vision, so I glance away from the glasses and see:Hylocichla mustelinaA Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina) just hanging out on a sign above the warbler. Oh, hello! Anyway, back to the mystery warbler challenge:Setophaga citrinaI didn’t get this until I checked a couple print sources back in the aerie. Care for a guess? (I’ll let a few answers pile up before showing them, so as not to spoil it for you.)

UPDATE: Check the comments for people’s guesses. I’m calling this a female Hooded Warbler (Setophaga citron).

13 Responses to “Mystery With Distraction”

1. 1 Will May 19, 2016 at 7:16 am

First pic i had no clue. Last pic ill guess hooded warbler?

2. 3 cgracie2015 May 19, 2016 at 7:58 am

Given the locality, it could only be a mourning warbler (female).

• 4 mthew May 19, 2016 at 9:09 pm

You’d think, right? But a Mourning should have a gray head, not as dark as the male, but still cloak-like.

3. 5 Traci May 19, 2016 at 10:23 am

I love mysteries! I can’t really see the tail, so can I offer two guesses: female Wilson’s on female Hooded. Am I close?

4. 7 Megan May 19, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Female Wilson’s?

5. 9 David May 19, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Female hooded?

6. 11 Deborah Allen May 20, 2016 at 11:43 am

Looks like a female Hooded Warbler. I don’t see any white in the tail, but sometimes don’t see that unless the tail is spread.

7. 13 Shannon May 22, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I also saw female Hooded. I saw my first one a few weeks back, so memory was still fresh! Nice challenge.