British Bugs

A selection of the insects spotted on my Dartmoor walk, most of which I can’t identify, so if you know ’em, holler below in the comments.Calopteryx virgoThis one was easy to look up. (And be sure to click on the image to get a closer look at the wings.) There are only two damselfly species with colored wings over there. This is the (obviously) Beautiful Demoiselle (Calopteryx virgo), even though this is the male of the species. I found this one in Lustleigh’s small park.wingsSeveral days later I came across just the wings of this species at Dartmeet. I wonder what the story here was?Calopteryx splendensThis, seen also in Lustleigh, is the female Banded Damoiselle (Calopteryx splendens), the other colored-wing species.beetles2

lepi1

truebug

moth

Pyrrhosoma nymphulaLarge Red Damselflys (Pyrrhosoma nymphula), mating at the pond at Yarner Woods. Props to the British Dragonfly Society for ID help on the odes. Feel free to throw in your two pence worth of ID help for the rest of these. Vanessa atalantaBut you need no introduction to the circumpolar Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta).combAnt working on some kind of comb, in the middle of the path.

11 Responses to “British Bugs”

1. 1 Elizabeth July 21, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Great pictures! I’d always been a bugaphobe until I began looking closely at them and seeing the beautiful colors.

2. 2 Tom Bland July 21, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I’m a bug novice unfortunately so am not much help here. Great to see them though. The wings of that first damselfly are spectacular.

• 3 mthew July 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Yes, aren’t they! I’m glad I ran into it. More thrilling even then our own Ebony Jewelwing, which is saying something.

3. 4 Katie (Nature ID) July 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Did you get to see a male banded demoiselle? As a way of blog introductions, here’s a dragon/damsel lover from across the pond: http://aeshnacaerulea.blogspot.com/2013/07/odonata-tensica.html

• 5 mthew July 26, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I missed the male Banded actually, but then I’ve always been a sort of lady’s, if not demoiselle’s, kind of guy. Thanks for the link, Katie!

4. 6 Scott Green August 1, 2015 at 5:47 pm

I came across your blog whilst trying to find out what kind of beetle this was that I saw on holiday in France and wondered if anyone might know?

He’s only tiny, and round/spherical in shape and so reflective like a mirror that you can almost make out my reflection on his back.

5. 11 Scott Green August 4, 2015 at 8:47 am

Yes I think we’re pretty close now, some of the photos of google images for ‘black leaf beetle’ do look very similar, such as these on this blog: http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_leafbeetles/ShinyDarkBrown.htm