Uh-oh

IMG_8155That egg I thought was fossilized, the one I found in the caverns underneath Brooklyn Heights?

Hatched.

I had it on the window sill with rocks and shells and seeds, so I assume the sun warmed it up. Enough to stir it up. Now there’s a freaking little dinosaur running around the apartment. And is it hungry!

I wonder how big they get?

11 Responses to “Uh-oh”

1. 2 Shannon April 1, 2017 at 8:58 am

Looks to be a goose by the bill.

2. 3 Deborah Allen April 1, 2017 at 9:07 am

Even better it will follow you everywhere.

3. 4 Peggy Herron April 1, 2017 at 9:29 am

It looks like it’s going to be huge and you are going to red a bigger apartment t . It may even be a carnivore so be careful .

4. 5 Peggy Herron April 1, 2017 at 9:32 am

Do you want to bring him or her to WBF or I can if you want ,

5. 6 Kathleen Matthews April 1, 2017 at 10:35 am

Oh my gosh – I love it!

Did you get to watch it hatch or did you just discover an empty shell on the windowsill and have the odd sensation that something furry and fluffy was watching you? 🙂

What’s it’s name?

I’m sure you’ve already “hatched a plan” (pun intended) but if not the folks at Wild Bird Fund would have plenty of pointers.

🙂
    Kathleen

6. 7 Susan April 1, 2017 at 11:13 am

Wow! Good luck to you and the (for now) little one!

7. 8 elwnyc April 1, 2017 at 12:42 pm

That’s a long gestation period! Perhaps like some seeds, this species needed alternating cold and heat to hatch, since I assume there would have been times when your window sill got very chilly. Or possibly, again like some seeds, needed exposure to the sun to develop, since the caverns were too dark.

8. 9 Jane April 1, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Remember Konrad Lorentz!

9. 10 Doris Karnila April 1, 2017 at 2:38 pm

You’re going to need a bigger apartment! 🙂

10. 11 Kathleen Matthews April 2, 2017 at 11:51 am

I do hope you’ll keep us all posted and offer more details! Inquiring minds want to know!

Then again – your fingers might be too busy tending to your feathered friend to type!

🙂