Mystery

Would you hazard a guess as to what this is?

(Hint: it’s not the deforested-and-mountain-top-removed-for-our-electrical-needs Appalachian Mts.)

6 Responses to “Mystery”

1. 1 alphonsegaston November 11, 2012 at 10:32 am

Looks like maple sugar candy past its use by date.

2. 2 Kevin Dann November 11, 2012 at 10:45 am

Cow or horse molar?

3. 3 Nature on the Edge November 11, 2012 at 10:50 am

First impression the convuluted structures of brain coral, but not the right building material….. Too resiney, and then what kind of resolution are we looking at, close-up magnification? Can we have a another clue please?

4. 4 Paul Lamb November 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I have no idea, but I’m going to go with a formerly living creature. Perhaps a coral or a shellfish of some kind. Beyond that, I got nuttin’.

5. 5 mthew November 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm

To many channels of information: on Twitter, we have one vote for the imprint of a boot mark; and on Facebook a “caramel dessert gone awry.” That makes for two sweet tooths in the pool. Another Twitter-er, the Flatbush Gardener, says simply “toof,” which means he and Kevin are correct.

This is the business end of a molar of a large animal. I’m guessing horse. It was found at Dead Horse Bay, after all, a place not metaphorically named. We’d need a large animal vet to call it for sure. All told, it is roughly human thumb-sized and seems to be two individual molars fused together (I will post a picture in full once I am back in front of my compter), although this is the grinding surface of just one of them.

Thanks for playing! And try not to step in any caramel.

1. 1 Teeth « Backyard and Beyond Trackback on November 19, 2012 at 7:11 am