No pipeline in Jamaica Bay

There is a petition against the plan to put a natural gas pipeline through Gateway National Recreation Area, with a large metering facility at Floyd Bennett Field. These kinds of things do not belong in a place that was set up, to quote the original Congressional legislation, “to preserve and protect for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations an area possessing outstanding natural and recreational features. [...]the Secretary shall administer and protect the islands and waters within the Jamaica Bay Unit with the primary aim of conserving the natural resources, fish, and wildlife located therein and shall permit no development or use of this area which is incompatible with this purpose.” The fossil fuel industries are well represented in the U.S. Congress, so I hope you will consider signing this to help block this bad idea.

About these ads

3 Responses to “No pipeline in Jamaica Bay”


  1. 1 Karen Orlando August 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

    Thanks for sharing! If you want to get involved at all we could use all the help we can get. Group is Coalition Against Rockaway Pipeline. (http://www.facebook.com/carpny)

  2. 2 Jonathan Fluck August 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm

    This area sits partly in Congressional District 8–Ed Townes’ old district. He is retiring and the heir apparent, Hakeem Jeffries, has been mute on the subject of the Rockaway Pipeline. Fortunately, the Green Party has a candidate running in this district: Colin Beavan, the environmentalist and star of the documentary “No Impact Man.” And don’t let Dems scare you with the spoiler argument. The Republican has never received more than 20% in this district, so even splitting the remaining 80% of the votes evenly doesn’t give the seat to a Republican! Check out Colin’s website: votecolin.com.

    Jonathan Fluck


  1. 1 Public Lands for Private Use? NY Impacts of the Gas Industry right here in Jamaica Bay | Mothers For Sustainable Energy Trackback on August 21, 2012 at 6:25 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Share

Bookmark and Share

Join 306 other followers

Twitter

Nature Blog Network

Archives


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 306 other followers

%d bloggers like this: